Sea Smart comes to your school in Metro Vancouver to deliver exciting ocean education school programs that fulfill the BC Ministry of Education’s requirements.
We can tailor school programs and topics to meet your class needs.
Sea Smart’s school programs are developed to support the new BC curriculum and Core Competencies: Communication, Thinking, Personal and Social.
Sea Smart’s school programs focus on:
- Science education
- Student engagement on sustainability issues
- Environmental stewardship
- Leadership and collaboration
- Critical thinking and creative problem solving
Through Dr. Leung’s 15 years of research on threatened marine species and ecosystems, she has witnessed first-hand the multitude of threats impacting our oceans. Dr. Leung’s passion for conservation has led her to start up Sea Smart, because she recognizes the important role and impact youth have to play in protecting our oceans.
Our specialized school programs connect with the new BC curriculum for each of the grades from Kindergarten to Grade 12. We use fun, experiential and inquiry-based methods to teach students about the oceans. Students are engaged and inspired to design group projects to tackle environmental problems and develop social responsibility.
Sea Smart inspires students to be part of the solution for our planet, while also providing them the opportunity to develop:
- Communication skills by interpreting and presenting scientific information
- Creative thinking by brainstorming solutions to ocean issues
- Critical thinking skills by integrating taught material with the key concepts of ecosystems and stewardship
- Positive personal and cultural identity by exploring personal strengths and abilities
- Personal awareness and responsibility by fostering a nourishing connection with nature
- Social responsibility by recognizing personal role in environmental stewardship
We would love to work with you to develop an unforgettable learning experience!